Sunday, November 25, 2007

Walk in the Park

In the not too distant future we will be breathing cleaner air in doors than we will have access to outside. This is attributed to pollution that will have been produced in the advancement of our technology.

When we think of taking a walk in the park, will it be on the ground? When we want to go to the beach, will it be at the coast line of some continent or island? When we go camping, will it be in a national forest? No, I think not.

As we build bigger buildings, we have noticed them heating the immediate area around them significantly. Some have started planting trees and other natural foliage to try to minimize the amount of heat these buildings will radiate. As the size of our buildings increase, so may the vastness of the forests on them. And as we realize the impacts of suburbs, small towns, and urban sprawl the value of untouched land will increase past any monetary value. We will build up in already industrial cities and we will eventually build over their parks, we will take out their side walks in favor of walking bridges higher and higher up that may span buildings. So, when you wake up tomorrow, you may be taking the elevator up to go walk the dog at the park.

There are currently fake beaches, ski slopes, and parks in buildings, but they are far and few between. What will change the number and vastness of these fake resorts? Filth. We are polluting, we will continue to pollute, but we don't want to choke on our own pollutants by going to the beach. As technology in air purification improves, we will find a better experience and more health reasons to stay indoors. We will build vast beaches, mountains, and forests on buildings to supplement the great out door experiences that earlier generations had and would have liked to share with the next generation.

Have you ever gone camping? Well, you've got about 50 years to try it, and about 25 years where you can still go places to be one with the wilderness. One might argue that since so many people enjoy hiking and camping, and since more and better air and water purification technology will exist, that people will still go camping in 75 and 100 years. I'd submit that; 1. though a good person might try to prevent it, camping still has some small environmental impact, 2. who wants to go camping with planes overhead, cell phones ringing, and the reoccurring noise of engines running, and 3. the impact of camping will cause laws to be made to inhibit it.
I believe that this forum will help me with my writing in a couple of ways. Firstly, it will help me get the documents that I have prepared on this subject off of my computer which i think will help to better preserve them. Second, it will give me the incentive to make much needed spelling and grammar corrections to them. As I hope to present a bit more than 'fluff' - what an english teacher referred to writing that I think she would have preferred to call 'crap' - and something that people might enjoy reading versus being turned off by countless grammatical and spelling errors (as I often am when reading well thought but poorly written articles. Third, I would hope to get *thoughtful* feedback.

I think that my third incentive needs a bit definition when concerned with the loose term thoughtful. I don't expect Hubble, Dirak, Einstein, Newton, or Galileo to be reading my writing - as they're dead. Though, I doubt that Hawking, Tyson, or any other - still alive - great minds to read my work. What I would expect is that if you wish to give me feedback, you abide by a couple of 'rules', so please:
  1. Say more than five words - "You're an idiot" "Love your writing" - I DON'T CARE
  2. Unless you are pointing a unbiased and blunt untruth I have stated, take more than five minutes to think about what you are saying.
  3. Make your point and be done with it - don't keep reiterating a point you've already made, don't put incessant carriage returns (aka - 'enter') like a teenage chat room.
  4. Don't type everything big and bold, small and blending in with the background, or using all caps.
As I'm sure this doesn't cover all of what I mean about being 'thoughtful', I think I have made my point; hence won't say anything more on the subject. And I really do want feedback.

Last, the pictures on the slide show may or may not have been taken by me. Most were taken on family vacations and since we only had one (fairly) high end camera - the talented photographers that we all are - had to share. So I can't say which of these pictures I took and which I didn't (unless I was in it - and that is rare).